We provide Childcare Grants and accompanying education grants to families with one or more parent in school full time. If you are accepted, you are then also eligible to apply for our family support program. We do not provide either education or emergency support to any family or individual that has not already been accepted to receive one of our Childcare Grants. If you need childcare assistance while you attend school full time, we encourage you to apply.
The Seattle Milk Fund Circle Family Program provides partial education and childcare funding to low-income families while one or both of the parents attend school full-time. This program is designed to meet the needs of both the parents and children. While the parents work towards their educational goals and financial independence, the children are provided with a valuable learning opportunity in a quality licensed childcare facility or preschool.
Our families are low-income one or two parent households with children. They share a common desire to achieve financial stability through higher education and training. Their ultimate goal is to obtain employment which will provide economic stability and break the cycle of minimum wage, low paying jobs that keep these families from creating healthy, bright new futures. Recent Seattle Milk Fund graduates include dental hygienists, medical assistants, teachers, nurses (LPN, RN and BSN levels) accountants, social workers, engineers, and midwives. Many of our students report that they are the first person in their family ever to have graduated from college or technical school.
Awarding education and childcare assistance is the largest expenditure in Seattle Milk Fund’s budget. Each family that is selected to receive Seattle Milk Fund grants is awarded a $300.00 grant to their college institution and up to $1300.00 per child/per quarter paid directly to the parent’s preferred licensed daycare provider.
Circle Family Program eligibility requirements
- Applicants must have residential custody of a child(children) 12 years of age or younger enrolled in a licensed childcare program of their choosing. We fund licensed childcare programs that provide full time or part time (before/after school) care for children 12 years of age or younger including full day kindergarten at a public school, only.
- Applicants must attend a public college or university in King County, including: Bellevue College, Cascadia Community College, Green River Community College, Highline Community College, Lake Washington Technical College, North Seattle Community College, Renton Technical College, Shoreline Community College, Seattle Central Community College, Seattle Vocational Institute, South Seattle Community College, University of Washington (Bothell or Seattle Campuses).
- Applicants must be enrolled for a full course load of 12 credit hours throughout the quarter, with the exception of Summer Quarter which requires 10 credit hours. Audited classes (which don’t issue a grade) do not count toward the total credit hour requirement.
- Applicants must maintain a 2.0 GPA or greater, each quarter.
- Applicants must be pursuing completion of their first certificate, AA degree or a BA/BS degree. We do not fund Master’s level students or students who have a previous degree/certificate in a unrelated field.
- Applicants must be US Citizens or Legal Aliens who can provide proof of application for US Citizenship.
- Applicants must meet our income guidelines:
- Your adjusted gross income from the previous tax year must not exceed 250% of the federal poverty measure for your family. Refer to http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/13poverty.cfm for guidelines.
- As of fall 2013 these levels are as follows: