We provide child care grants and accompanying family support grants to families with one or more parent in school full time.
The Seattle Milk Fund provides child care and family support funding to low-income families while one or both of the parents attend school full-time. This program is designed to meet the needs of both the parents and children. While the parents work towards their educational goals and financial independence, the children are provided with a valuable learning opportunity in a quality licensed childcare facility or preschool.
Our families are low-income, one or two parent households with children. They share a common desire to achieve a more stable financial future through higher education. Their ultimate goal is to obtain employment which will provide economic stability and break the cycle of minimum wage, low paying jobs that keep these families from creating healthy, bright new futures. Recent Seattle Milk Fund graduates include dental hygienists, medical assistants, teachers, nurses (LPN, RN and BSN levels) accountants, social workers, engineers, and midwives. Many of our students report that they are the first person in their family ever to have graduated from college or technical school.
Awarding education and childcare assistance is the largest expenditure in Seattle Milk Fund’s budget. Each family that is selected to receive Seattle Milk Fund grants is awarded a $450.00 family support grant to their college institution and up to $1300.00 per child/per quarter paid directly to the parent’s preferred licensed daycare provider.
- Applicants must have residential custody of a child(children) 12 years of age or younger enrolled in a licensed childcare program of their choosing. We fund licensed childcare programs that provide full time or part time (before/after school) care for children 12 years of age or younger including full day kindergarten at a public school, only.
- Applicants must attend a public or private college or university in King County, Wash., including: Bellevue College, Cascadia Community College, Green River Community College, Highline Community College, Lake Washington Technical College, North Seattle College, Renton Technical College, Seattle Pacific University, Seattle University, Shoreline Community College, Seattle Central College, Seattle Vocational Institute, South Seattle College, University of Washington (Bothell or Seattle Campuses).
- Applicants must be enrolled for a full course load of 12 credit hours throughout the quarter, with the exception of Summer Quarter which requires 10 credit hours. Audited classes (which don’t issue a grade) do not count toward the total credit hour requirement.
- Applicants must maintain a 2.0 GPA or greater, each quarter.
- Applicants must be pursuing completion of their first certificate, AA degree or a BA/BS degree. We do not fund Master’s level students or students who have a previous degree/certificate in an unrelated field.
- Applicants must be US Citizens or Legal Aliens who can provide proof of application for US Citizenship.
- Applicants must meet our income guidelines. Your adjusted gross income from the previous tax year must not exceed 250% of the federal poverty measure for your family. The 2014 guidelines* are as follows:
*For additional information on the guidelines, visit https://www.lrp.nih.gov/about_the_programs/2014_HHS_poverty_guidelines.pdf.
We fund applicants in the order in which we have received their application and as soon as funding is available.
Application Process: Complete an application only if you meet all of our eligibility requirements. Please call the office at 206-526-7944 if you have any questions about the process or any particular form. All application parts must be uploaded and attached to your online application. If you need to fax us part of your application, our fax number is 206-526-7292.
The following attachments will be required for your application:
- School and Financial Information:
- Class schedule for upcoming quarter – you must be a FULL-TIME STUDENT (12 credits for Fall, Winter, Spring and 10 in Summer) registered at one of our participating institutions.
- Current transcripts of your grades – you must have a 2.0 or better GPA.
- A copy of your 2014-2015 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) which can be downloaded from the FAFSA site. We do not want your Financial Aid Status Notification (Report).
- Child care Information
- Part 2 to be completed by each child care provider you use for your children.
- Part 2 For Child Care Providers
- Part 2 for All-Day Kindergartens
- Completed IRS W9 Form from each child care provider. (downloadable form)
- A copy of child care provider’s DSHS License from each provider
- Personal Statement and References
- An essay sharing a little bit about yourself and your future academic plans and goals. You may use this to discuss any area of weakness on your application.
- Two current letters of recommendation from people who know you well (other than relatives) and can speak to your eligibility for and benefit from the grant.
- Complete your online application at your earliest convenience – partial applications will stay available for seven days before they expire.
- After we review your application materials and ensure that you meet our eligibility requirements, then we will notify you of waitlist status, or to schedule an interview or, send a letter of decline.
- If you are chosen for an interview, you will be contacted by the grant committee within 2 weeks of the interview regarding the status of your funding request. We maintain a waiting list with 12 family names on it in the event that funding becomes available. We interview new applicants year-round.
Thank you for your interest in the Seattle Milk Fund’s Child Care and Family Support Program.
NOTE: Renewing students will have to complete the online application (making any changes needed from their previous application–i.e. change in schools, daycare, address, email, phone, etc.). Students will also need to include their upcoming quarter’s class schedule, current transcript*, and part 2 of the application from the childcare provider. *The renewal application is due before the current quarter is complete. Therefore, you will need to apply and then send in your updated transcript/grades to email@example.com.